Thursday, September 5, 2013

Learning Like a Child

After reading my first article you are probably thinking ... "Well, if I’m not supposed to study English, then, how in the world am I going to learn?”. The answer to this question is simple, you just need to learn exactly the way children do, and the proof of the effectiveness of this method, is easy to visualize when you think about the families that move to English speaking countries.

Let me ask a question for you ... Who are usually the ones that end up talking like natives when families from non-speaking English countries move to English speaking countries? …. THE CHILDREN! And, it is because they don’t try to force themselves studying boring guides or textbooks, in fact, they never study grammar rules, what they do is to learn naturally.

Children just see the life passing by in the meantime they listen to English; they listen to their teachers and classmates speaking English, they watch and listen to the television in English. They never ask, ”why do i have to say this thing in this way?”. Children only focus on listening and that is the main secret when you really want to learn how to speak English. You have to focus on listening.



To understand a little bit more about the “focus on listening“ idea, think about when you learned to speak your own native language, you never studied grammar rules or memorize lists of words, what you did was to learn it naturally, you listened until you could speak, and that is exactly what you have to do so you can learn to speak English.

As I told you, this blog was a little bit about my own experience learning English, and this is quite a lot of what I’ve done. When I really started learning, I actually wanted to learn how to speak and express myself in English, so what I did was to listen. I have some family abroad so when my cousins came to my country, I listened to what they said carefully, I used to notice the way they said things.

My advice for you is to watch Tv shows and videos on Youtube, try to pay careful attention to the way the characters talk in the Tv shows. A really good idea is to watch Tv shows for children, where pronunciation is really simple and easy to understand.

Here is an example of an easy Tv show you could listen to and enjoy it in the meantime you learn:



You could use this Tv show or any other you like, but the important thing is that you focus on listening, don’t force yourself trying to speak, just listen like a child.


REMEMBER: FOCUS ON LISTENING.

No comments:

Post a Comment